Friday 21 October 2011

A brief history of how I became a maritime officer...

I was born in May, 1988 in Yangon, the Capital of Myanmar ( at that time ), formerly

called Burma. I've completed my high school in 2004 and decided to join merchant

navy. Therefore, I joined Institute of Marine Technology ( Myanmar Mercantile Marine


College ) and completed the course in April, 2006. I completed my college with

ranking "6th" according to the whole academic performance. At that time, A.P.Moller

Singapore Pte. Ltd. , a part of A.P.Moller Maersk Group, came to our college to sponsor

with their cadet training programs. The top 40 cadets from the deck and the engine

department were invited for the initial selection process. Out of 40, only 10 were

selected for each department after the I.Q exams, mental exams, and 2 interviews. In

that way, I became a deck cadet in A.P.Moller Singapore Pte. Ltd. and put my first

step on a world-wide trading ship in December, 2006 when I joined MT.Maersk

Promise, a large product carrier of 110,000 tonnes dwt. Then I signed off in August

2007 and joined MT.Maersk Princess, the sister-ship of MT.Maersk Promise, in

September 2007.After that I've been on two Very Large Crude oil Carriers ( VLCC ),

MT.Maersk Nectar and MT.Maersk Nautilus with deadweights of 307,284 tonnes each.

After following 28 months of training as a deck cadet with A.P.Moller Maersk Group on

4 tankers, including 2 VLCCs, I gained a wide range of knowledge and polished myself

to become a Junior Deck Officer. During my sailing time, I did a distance learning

course and graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor of Art in English. I did my 2nd Mate

refresher course in Myanmar Mercantile Marine College, Yangon in 2010 and became

a 3rd Officer in 2011.Since then I've been working for A.P.Moller Maersk Group as a deck

officer.

No comments:

Post a Comment